Sunday 5 January 2014

Grainline Portside Duffle Bag

This is the second of the big Christmas presents that I made. I often find it difficult to think of presents to make for my Dad, but when the Grainline Portside Travel Set pattern was released it seemed like it might be just what I was looking for. My parents had been talking about needing a holdall for when they go away for weekends and the duffle bag looked just right. My Mum approved of the plan, so I set to work...


I used a heavy denim for the main fabric, a checked canvas for the contrast and lined the bag in plain white twill, all purchased locally (from Calico in Bristol). The shop has a great range of fabric, the only problem I had was being frustrated that I couldn't buy all of the pretty prints that I'd usually be drawn to because this was for my Dad! The metal hardware (D rings and swivel hooks) was from U-Handbag, and I got the webbing and zip on Ebay.


The pattern is really well drafted and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. The bag came together much quicker than I thought it might (possibly due to the lack of need to make a muslin or adjust fit being as this was a bag rather than clothing!), and I think the finish looks quite professional - my Dad did have to check that I'd made it rather than bought it for him so it must look good! I got slightly confused about attaching the main strap through the D rings (I can't remember how exactly now because it was a while ago!), but soon realised what I was doing wrong when I enlarged the photos of the finished bag on my computer. 

I didn't make any changes to the pattern or to the recommendations in the instructions - why would I when they all worked so well? I considered machine stitching the lining to the main bag instead of hand stitching as stated in the instructions, but in the end I stuck with hand stitching and I think I've ended up with a much tidier finish than I would have got with my machine and it's perfectly sturdy.


I tried to do some pattern matching on the checked canvas - as you can see from the photo above this didn't quite work out on the curved edges at the ends of the bag, but I think I did quite a good job of making sure the pattern matched along either side of the zip.


The bag is quite roomy (I managed to fit 5 cushions in it to fill it up when I was taking these photos!) and would be perfect for a weekend away, or longer if you pack lighter than I do! The pattern also includes a toiletries bag and a travel pouch which I'm looking forward to making at some point - if they're as good as the duffle bag then it'd be silly not to!


Linking up to:

10 comments:

  1. Wow Ruth, this is amazing. So professional. Never would have occurred to me to make a heavy duty bag. Need to store this idea away for my husband's birthday. I never know what to get him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it looks professional then I think it's probably more due to the pattern than me! Definitely a good idea to store away to make for your husband.

      Delete
  2. What a great size bag! love that pattern, thanks for sharing :) http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. I can understand why your Dad had to check whether it was shop bought! Will remember this pattern if I need a large holdall

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing traveller bag with an ideal texture. Thanks for sharing your work.
    long stay parking luton
    long stay parking heathrow

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!